The world of manufacturing and engineering constantly needs translation and localisation. Not only to reach customers overseas but also to understand all the instructions during the process of production. If you are part of this industry or want to persevere in this sector, you probably wonder how translation can help your business. You may also wonder if you are using the right translation services. Thanks to this blog, I’ll explain the reasons how translation and localisation services can help your business and I’ll give you some tips to recognise good language services that match your needs.
Why are translation and localisation services essential for manufacturing and engineering companies?
The manufacturing and engineering sector covers most of the goods for final customers all around the world. The area of business can be very diverse, from pharmaceuticals to aerospace. It is probably one of the most exposed industries that works with many different countries along the production and sale process. Due to this exposure, the manufacturing and engineering sector has to deal with foreign languages. Thus, translation is essential to be understood and to understand the people you interact with when doing business.
Also, the UK manufacturers are facing a tough competition from emerging countries like China where the labour cost is very low. So, one of the solution for this sector to survive is to export or relocate in order to become profitable. To make it possible, translation and localisation services are the key for your business success abroad. In fact, translation services can allow you to communicate and work with suppliers in another country that offer cheaper materials, but it can also increase your chances of success. In fact, translating the packaging of your products allows you to easily reach foreign customers. Finally, localisation is the best way to adapt your product to the local culture in order to fit within the economy you targeted.
If you want to expand your company abroad remember that these services are essential for you to reach customers and to be understood in the market. But you need to be aware of certain details when choosing a translation and localisation agency.
How to choose top-quality translation and localisation services. What exactly matters to you?
1. Choose a translation agency experienced in this sector — You need to make sure the translation company you hire has experience within your sector. Check their customers’ testimonials concerning their previous translations. In fact, as the manufacturing and engineering sector requires technical translations, not everyone can do it. It isn’t simple, keep that in mind!
2. The terminology — The terminology is essential. Languages can be used in different ways, for example to persuade, to engage, to entertain and to communicate. But within the manufacturing and engineering industry the language used needs to be specific, informative and precise to show you are an expert in your area. In fact, if you have to translate Health and Safety information materials, making a terminology mistake can be very harmful to your employees or customers. That’s why using the right terminology is crucial when translating into the targeted language. For example, if you want to translate ‘valve’ into French there are many ways to say it depending on the context; it can be ‘valve’, ‘soupape’, ‘piston’… the list is long!
3. Price vs value – be careful! It is tempting to choose your translation or localisation services only according to the pricing. In fact, thinking this way is natural, but it can lead to big issues. You probably know this following quote:
- “A cheap and fast translation won’t be good.
- A cheap and good translation won’t be fast.
- A good and fast translation won’t be cheap.”
That’s logical. It’s even more accurate for technical translations. In fact, if the price is too low it probably means that the translation agency you found doesn’t hire technical translators to do your project. The reason is clear, specialised translators studied for precise technical vocabulary to translate, so they need to be paid more. Consequently, not hiring them can lead to bad translations and terminology mistakes which can jeopardize your reputation in the industry.
4. Localisation of your website — Localising requires more work than just a simple translation. You need to be aware at the same time of the specifics of the industry but also aware of the local culture in order to adapt the content and the visual design of your website. For example, an engineering company website needs to reflect values such as professionalism and seriousness, but the way we perceive a serious and trustworthy website depends from culture to culture. So once again before hiring a translation agency to localise your website, you need to check their expertise not only in your industry sector but also in localisation services. In fact, some companies are very good in translation, but not in localisation, be aware!
5. Pay attention to the processes and accreditations — It sounds boring like that but it is very important! Accreditations are a good way to make up your mind when choosing your translation or localisation services.
Concerning the processes, you need to know if the agency you hire has a good process when dealing with projects. An efficient and good-quality process uses technology to improve the communication between translators, project managers and clients. The requirements of the clients have to be communicated to the translators. In fact, without knowing the audience of the document to translate, awkward translations could happen. It is also essential for a technical translation to be proofread. Thus the proof-reader has to be different from the translator to be sure of the quality of the translation.
When doing business abroad or working with foreign partners, translation and localisation services are essential for your company. Moreover, the 5 steps above can help you before choosing a translation agency. The manufacturing and engineering sector is the sector Wolfestone works with the most regularly. We also pay attention to details because we understand and know that quality and accuracy are crucial for your manufacturing or engineering company. Some clients such as Mercedes and General Electric chose us for our commitment to quality and expertise! So, what are you waiting for?
Written By Anais Laget.
For more information about Wolfestone services:
Document translation services, Localisation services, Transcreation services, Multilingual SEO services, Proofreading, Voiceover services, Interpreting services, Multimedia services, Legal translation services, Other types of translation
The professional translation services you can trust!